Tips for Homeowners
- Top 7 Things You Can Do to Make Your Home More Efficient
- Preventing & Addressing Water Damage Due to the Spring Thaw
- 10 Tips On How To Manage Insurance Costs
- Avoid Dreaded Surprises: What Is Really Covered Under My Homeowner's Policy?
- What Causes Flooding and Will my Homeowners Insurance Cover Flood Damage
20 Tips for Home Safety and Security
In addition to your a monitored home security system, there are steps you can take to protect your home and family from burglary, fire and intrusion. Below are some basic tips to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
General Home Safety and Security
Home Fire Safety
- Never leave candles or other open flames burning unattended.
- Douse cigarette and cigar butts with water before dumping them in the trash.
- Don't leave hot irons, or burning stovetops and outdoor grills unattended while in use. Double-check that you've turned them off after use.
- Regularly clear and dispose of dry or dead vegetation in your yard or areas near your home.
- Make sure the lid stays on your trash can, and store firewood and other combustibles away from your home.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. For the best detection and notification protection, install both ionization and photoelectric-type smoke alarms. Put them inside or near every bedroom. Test them monthly to make sure they work. Put in new batteries once a year.
- Don't have deadbolts that lock with an inside key. You need to get out fast if a fire starts. A missing key could trap you inside. Also, don't nail windows shut. Make sure they open easily.
- Make a fire escape plan for your family. Find two exits out of every room. Pick a meeting place outside. Practice makes perfect – hold a family fire drill at least twice each year.
- Be sure your street address is visibly posted so that firefighters can identify your home in the event of an emergency.
Arthur D. Calfee Insurance Agency, Inc. is proudly serving primary home, vacation home, auto, collector car, business, general liability, property, professional liability, contractor's liability, worker's comp, key man, whole life, term life, group or personal disability, & long-term care insurance policies to patrons in the following Cape Cod, Massachusetts towns, communities and villages: Barnstable, Bourne, Brewster, Buzzards Bay, Centerville, Chatham, Cotuit, Craigville, Dennis, Eastham, Falmouth, Hatchville, Harwich, Hyannis, Hyannisport, Marstons Mills, Mashpee, Orleans, Osterville, Provincetown, Sandwich, Truro, Wellfleet, Woods Hole, Yarmouth, and Yarmouthport.