With meteorologists forecasting a very active hurricane season, you may want to learn how to best prepare for an oncoming storm.
Here are tips from Geico, the National Hurricane Center and the Insurance Information Institute:
• Determine escape routes and places where your family can meet.
• Know your home's vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind.
• Locate a safe room in your home or the safest area in your community.
• Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact.
• Plan what to do with your pets if you need to evacuate.
• Post emergency telephone numbers by your phones. Teach your children how to call 911.
• Check your insurance coverage; flood damage is not usually covered by homeowners insurance.
• Trim trees to remove un-healthy or dead limbs or branches.
• water-one gallon daily per person for three to seven days
• food-enough for three to seven days
• nonperishable packaged or canned food/juices-foods for infants or the elderly
• nonelectric can opener
• cooking tools/fuel
• paper plates/plastic utensils
• blankets/pillows, etc.
• clothing-seasonal/rain gear/ sturdy shoes
• first-aid kit/medicines/prescription drugs
• special items for babies and the elderly
• toiletries/hygiene items/moisture wipes
• radio-battery-operated radio and National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio. Replace the batteries every six months.
• cash-banks and ATMs may not be open for extended periods.
• computer hard drive or laptop
• toys, books and games
• important documents-in a waterproof container including insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, etc.
• tools-keep a set with you during the storm
• vehicle fuel tanks filled
• pet care items
• proper identification/immunization records/medications
• food and water
• a carrier or cage
• muzzle and leash
• Take first-aid, CPR and disaster preparedness classes.
Rental Home Insurance
Rental Condo Insurance
Personal Umbrella Policy
Off Road Vehicles
Motor Home Insurance
Mobile Home Insurance
Travel Trailer Insurance
Boat & Yacht Insurance
Jet Ski Insurance
Apartment Building Insurance
Condo / Condominium HOA Insurance
Lessors Risk Insurance
Commercial Real Estate
Office Building Insurance
Business Owners Policy Insurance (BOP)
Commercial General Liability Insurance (CPP)
Business Auto Insurance
Real Estate E& O
Errors & Omissions Insurance
Term Life Insurance
Universal Life Insurance
Whole Life Insurance
Group Life Insurance
"Key Man/Woman" Insurance
This blog is intended to promote local events, businesses & non-profit organizations through out our network.
Proudly doing business in the following Cape Cod, Massachusetts towns and villages: Barnstable, Bourne, Brewster, Buzzards Bay, Centerville,
Chatham, Cotuit, Craigville, Dennis, Eastham, Falmouth, Harwich, Hyannis, Hyannisort, Marstons Mills, Mashpee, Orleans, Osterville, Provincetown,
Sandwich, Truro, Wellfleet, Woods Hole, Yarmouth, Yarmouthport